Lewis and Clark's Columbia River
Home Regions Campsites Penny Postcards My Corps of Discovery Image Index Links About This Site Main Menu
Lewis & Clark's Columbia River - "200 Years Later"
"Mosier and Mosier Creek, Oregon"
Includes ... Mosier ... Mosier Syncline ... Rock Creek ... Mosier Creek ... Mosier Totem ... Mosier Twin Tunnels ... Marsh Cutoff Road ... Mayerdale Place ... Mosier House ... "Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail" ... National Register of Historic Places ...
Image, 2010, Sign, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
"Welcome to Mosier", Mosier, Oregon. Image taken March 6, 2010.


Mosier ...
The small community of Mosier is located on the Oregon side of the Columbia River at River Mile (RM) 175, and is located between Rock Creek on the west and Mosier Creek on the east. Five miles downstream is the City of Hood River and fifteen miles upstream is the City of The Dalles. Also located upstream are Tom McCall Nature Preserve, Rowena and Rowena Crest, and Mayer State Park. Today Mosier is well known for being the eastern end of the Twin Tunnels of the Historic Columbia River Highway. Downstream of Mosier are the basalts of the Bingen Gap and upstream are the basalts of Rowena Gap.

Image, 2005, Mosier, Oregon, as seen from downstream, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier, Oregon, as seen from downstream. View from the Mark O. Hatfield State Trail. Image taken September 18, 2005.
Image, 2004, Columbia River from upstream Mosier, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Columbia River looking downstream towards Mosier, Oregon. View from along the Historic Columbia River Highway upstream of Mosier, Oregon. Eighteenmile Island can be seen on the left just off the Oregon shore. The location of Mosier, Oregon, is located on the left. The basalts of the Bingen Gap are visible on the right. Image taken March 20, 2004.


Rock Creek ...
Rock Creek is located on the west side of Mosier. It is an intermittent stream which begins in Hood River County and merges with the Columbia River in Wasco County at approximately Columbia River Mile (RM) 175.

Image, 2017, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Rock Creek, looking upstream, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.
Image, 2017, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Rock Creek, looking downstream, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.


Mosier Creek ...
Mosier Creek is located on the east side of Mosier. Mosier Creek begins approximately 15 miles northeast of Mount Hood and lies within Wasco County. It merges with the Columbia River at RM 175. Mosier Creek was at one time known as "East Fork Mosier Creek". The Board of Geographic Names made "Mosier Creek" official in 1976.

Image, 2016, Mosier Creek, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier Creek, Mosier, Oregon. View upstream from right bank. Image taken March 30, 2016.


Early Mosier ...
The Wasco County community of Mosier began in 1853 or 1854 when Jonah Harrison Mosier settled on a land claim near the mouth of today's Mosier Creek where he established a succession of sawmills. Jonah Mosier also ran a "rest area" stage station for weary travelers, ran cattle on the plateau, and served as an Oregon legislator.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management, General Land Office Records, show a Jane and Heirs of Jonah H. Mosier being issued a land title on October 15, 1873, for 258.9 acres of parts of T2N R11E Sections 1 and 2 (1850 "Oregon-Donation Act"). Jonah H. Mosier was also issued a land title on July 25, 1892, for 93.53 acres of parts of T2N R11E Section 1 (1820 "Sale-Cash Entry") and on August 14, 1893, for 31.2 acres of parts of T2N R11E (1820 "Sale-Cash Entry").

Jonah Mosier and his first wife Jane had seven children: Sarah Alice, Emily Ann, Mary S., Josephine, Benjamin Franklin, Jefferson, and Lydia. After her death Jonah Mosier remarried and had two children with his second wife Martha: Effie Jane and Dolly. After Jonah's death in 1894 his son Jefferson platted the town of Mosier. In 1896 Jefferson began construction of a grand Queen Anne-style home, today known as the "Mosier House".

According to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places "The Mosier House" Nomination Form (1990):

"Jefferson Mosier platted the town in 1902 and named the small community after his father, Jonah Mosier, whose Donation Land Claim of 1855 included the townsite."

According to Fred Lockey in a 1927 interview with Jefferson Mosier (1928, "History of the Columbia River Valley, From The Dalles to the Sea"):

"In 1854 he [Jonah Mosier] looked around for a location for a sawmill. he took up land here on Mosier creek. Mosier creek and the town of Mosier are both named for my father. ... He built a landing here, which in steamboat days was known as Mosier Landing. ... Father and mother took up six hundred and forty acres here in 1854. The east half section was my fathers, the west my mothers. In 1894, at the time of my father's death, I bought the interest of the other heirs and I platted the town of Mosier. ... The railroad came here in 1882. J.J. Lynch was the first telegraph generator and agent. He built a small building across the track and ran a store, and he was the first postmaster. ... "

The Mosier Post Office was established in 1884 and the town was incorporated in 1914.


Mosier in 1892 ...
The Town of Mosier

"Twenty-seven acres of ground, immediately back of the Mosier depot has been laid off for a town site. It comprises seventeen blocks with some fractional blocks, in lots 50x100 feet each. The Holmes Mercantile Co., are now constructing a building for the accomodation of a general merchandise store. A fruit dryer will be erected by the same company in time to handle the present season's fruit. The Holmes company expect to be ready for business by the first of June."


Source:    "The Dalles Daily Chronicle", May 24, 1892, courtesy Historic Oregon Newspapers Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, 2017.


Mosier 1902 - 1921 ...
"The town of Mosier was platted and filed with Wasco County by Jefferson and Mary Mosier June 9, 1902. The town was surveyed in May of the same year by J.B. Goit. After Mosier moved to the town in spring 1904, he had a portion of the plat resurveyed with minor adjustments to the original plat. ...

Jefferson Mosier stated of Mosier in a 1904 Times-Mountaineer, the same year he constructed his fine Queen Anne residence, that the "town of Mosier is showing a good and healthy growth this year. During the coming summer there will be a number of buildings erected, including a hotel, store, hall, and several residences." ...

The population increased in size by five times, from approximately 100 in 1908 to 500 in 1914. In 1914 the town was incorporated and a Mosier directory published the same year boated of Baptist, Episcopal, Methodist, Adventist and Christian churches, a bank, a newspaper, a livery, a post office, an hotel, two sawmills, two planning mills, a box factory, a dentist, "an usual number of store", a blacksmith and a city school. ...

The town continued to proper until a disasterous fire occurred November 26, 1919. The fire rapidly spread through the business district, destroying one half of the structures. Two hundred men were called to help control the blaze. ...

The town never truly recovered, the population dwindling from 500 in 1919 to 250 in 1921. Throughout the years, Mosier has maintained a stabile population and its current population listed at 340 (1990). The area is still an important fruit porducing area and in recent years has benefitted from the influx of sail boarders and associated industries."


Source:    U.S. National Register of Historic Places Mosier House Nomination Form, 1990, #90000286.


Mosier in 1914 ...
"The town of Mosier, with a population of but 200, has one of the most progressive commercial clubs in the state ... Since the first of the year the club has been instrumental in raising the sum of $1700, which has been used in improving streets and roads and in other public enterprises. The sum of $500 has been raised in the past two months and has been spent on the streets of the city, some of which have been graded, macadamized and oiled, and $370 was raised for the Fourth of July celebration.

At the instigation of the club the Mosier citizens are building a public wharf, at which 35 men have been at work. About two miles of highway, known as the Mayerdale road, has been completed just east of the city. It is possible that this macadamized roadway will eventually form a link of the Columbia Highway in Wasco County.

Building, too, is booming in Mosier this Summer. Three new buildings are rising, one of which is a brick structure, the new home of the Mosier Bank."


Source:    "Sunday Oregonian", August 30, 1914, courtesy Historic Oregon Newspapers Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, 2017.


Image, 2011, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier Valley Post Office, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken May 4, 2011.

The Mosier Post Office was established in 1884. It first occupied a small building near the railroad depot until it bounced from home to home. In 1929 it moved to its current location, a building which was once Mosier's bank building.



Mosier in 1940 ...
From the Oregon State Archives "A 1940 Journey Across Oregon":

"MOSIER, 118.1 m. (95 alt., 192 pop.), at the confluence of Mosier Creek and the Columbia River, is in a small fruit growing section well known for its apple cider. The MOSIER TUNNELS, 119.5 m., one 261 feet and the other 60 feet long, often referred to as the Twin Tunnels, penetrate a promontory more than 250 feet above the river. West of this point the contrast between the barren, semi desert contours of eastern Oregon and the lushness of the Pacific Slope becomes apparent. "


Views ...

Image, 2017, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Metal "Discover Mosier" sign, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.
Image, 2007, Mosier Cafe, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier Market, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken May 13, 2007.
Image, 2007, Mosier Cafe, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Route 30 Classics and Roadside Refreshments, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken May 13, 2007.
Image, 2017, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
"The Dwelling Station", Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.
Image, 2017, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Picnic area, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.
Image, 2017, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Flag bench, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.
Image, 2017, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Roosters, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.
Image, 2017, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Surfboards, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.


Mosier, etc.

  • First Christian Church ...
  • Historic Columbia River Highway ...
  • HCRH - Mosier Bridges ...
  • Jonah H. Mosier ...
  • Marsh Cutoff Road ...
  • Mayerdale Place ...
  • Mosier Fruit Growers Association ...
  • Mosier House ...
  • Mosier Information Sign, "a fruitful BOUNTY" ...
  • Mosier Plateau Trail ...
  • Mosier Syncline ...
  • Mosier Totem ...
  • Mosier Trading Company ...
  • Mosier Twin Tunnels ...
  • Mosier Valley Bank ...
  • "Octagonal House" ...
  • Orchards ...
  • Pioneer Cemetery ...
  • Route 30 Classics and Roadside Refreshments ...
  • Union Pacific ...


First Christian Church ...
Mosier's First Christian Church was dedicated October 31, 1909.

Image, 2009, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
First Christian Church, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken June 27, 2009.


Historic Columbia River Highway ...
[More Historic Columbia River Highway]
[More HCRH Route]


HCRH - Mosier Bridges ...
Two Historic Columbia River Highway bridges are in Mosier. The 45-foot-long Rock Creek Bridge is located just west of town and the 182-foot-long Mosier Creek Bridge is located just east of town. Rock Creek Bridge was built in 1918 and renovated in 1996. Mosier Creek Bridge was built in 1920.
[More]

Image, 2017, Rock Creek, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
HCRH, Rock Creek Bridge, looking east, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.
Image, 2017, Rock Creek, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
HCRH, Rock Creek Bridge, upstream side, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.
Image, 2016, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier Creek Bridge, Mosier, Oregon. Looking west. Image taken March 30, 2016.
Image, 2016, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier Creek Bridge, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken March 30, 2016.


Jonah H. Mosier ...
Death of Hon. J.H. Mosier.

"At Mosier, Friday afternoon Oct. 5th, 1894, at 1:15 Jonah Harrison Mosier, aged 73 years 6 months and 25 days. Funeral in Mosier cemetery Monday morning at 10 o'clock under the direction of the Masonic Fraternity.

Jonah Harrison Mosier was born in Maryland March 10th, 1821, and was therefore 73 years old. While yet an infant his family emigrated to Pennsylvania and successively afterward to Iowa and Wisconsin. In the latter named state, at Smithsville, he was married in 1846 to Jane Rollins. In 1849 he moved to California, and being a carpenter by trade built several houses both in San Francisco and the state capital. ...

Later he left California for his former home in Missouri, but like all others who have had a taste of western life, he soon tired of his old surroundings, and in 1853 bade farewell forever to Missouri, removing directly to The Dalles, Oregon. He, with Col. Gates and Judge Laughlin (father of Frank J. Laughlin) first platted the city of The Dalles. Soon thereafter Mr. Mosier was again busy with his hammer and saw and built the first business houses of the city. In the spring of 1855 he settled at Mosier, where he has resided ever since. His pursuits since then were varied. In 1855 he erected a sawmill, which is believed to have been the first operated in Wasco county. He also drove cattle to the mines, and himself owned large bands. He had an occasional brush with Indians, and on one occasion nearly met his death while rowing a large sail boat up the river during a comparative calm. ... More than once Mr. Mosier, with his family, has been compelled to temporarily abandon his place in the night, being threatened by predatory Indians. But though courageous and resolute, he never retaliated in kind, depending more upon kindheartedness and inoffensive conduct toward his copper-hued bretheren than the modern weapons of offense and defense. In 1876 Mr. Mosier served the state with dignity and honor in the legislature.

His wife died in 1865, after bearing seven children ... In 1866 he married Mrs. Martha J. Lewis. Two children were the fruits of the latter marriage ...

Mr. Moser has been quite ill since the latter part of June ... The creek he settled and the town he located justly bear the name of its locally illustrious founder, all now given to history and memory in minds of men. He professed religion a short time before his death, and sustained by its consolations and an indomitable will, he bore his sufferings uncomplainingly to the end."


Source:    "The Dalles Daily Chronicle, October 6, 1894, courtesy Historic Oregon Newspapers Archives, University or Oregon Libraries, 2016.



Marsh Cutoff Road ...
Marsh Cutoff Road is approximately four miles east of Mosier and is reached from the Historic Columbia River Highway. The road is lined with fields, marshes, and oak groves and is a wonderful place to look for Lewis's Woodpeckers, Western Bluebirds, and Western Meadowlarks.

Image, 2016, Historic Columbia River Highway, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Scenic, Marsh Cuttoff Road, near Historic Columbia River Highway Milepost Marker 77, Oregon. Image taken March 30, 2016.
Image, 2010, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Lewis's Woodpecker, Marsh Cutoff Road, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken April 25, 2010.


Mayerdale Place ...
The Mayerdale Place, finished in 1913, is located on the north side of the Historic Columbia River Highway between Mosier and Rowena Crest. According to the "a2zgorge.info" website (2010):

"... In 1910 Mark Mayer established a home and a 230 acre apple orchard in Mosier. His home was a stately masion known as Mayerdale Place. In addition he also donated to Wasco county that the land that is now known as Mayer State Park, near Rowena, on the Columbia River. ..."

[More]

Image, 2010, Mayerdale Place, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mayerdale Place, view from the east, Mosier, Oregon. Note apple orchard in the background. Image taken March 6, 2010.
Image, 2010, Mayerdale Place, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mayerdale Place, view from the southwest, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken March 6, 2010.


Mosier Fruit Growers Association ...
The Mosier Valley Growers Association was organized in 1907. Their all-purpose building was built in 1920.

Image, 1919, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
HISTORICAL Newspaper image, Mosier Fruit Growers Association Building, Mosier, Oregon. Image from Sunday Oregonian, December 21, 1919, courtesy Historic Oregon Newspaper Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, 2016.
Image, 2011, Mosier Fruit Growers building, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier Fruit Growers building, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken May 4, 2011.
Image, 2017, Mosier Fruit Growers building, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier Fruit Growers building, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.


Mosier House ...
Construction on The "Mosier House" began in 1896 and was completed in 1904. Built by Jefferson Mosier, the founder of the community of Mosier, the house is the last remnant of Queen Anne style of architecture in the Mosier community. In 1990 the "Mosier, Jefferson, House" was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places (Building, #90000286).
[More]

Image, 2017, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier House, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.
Image, 2017, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier House, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.
Image, 2017, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier House, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.
Image, 2017, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Living Room, Mosier House, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.


Mosier Information Sign, "a fruitful BOUNTY"...
MOSIER
a fruitful BOUNTY

"Residents of Mosier have always welcomed travelers -- even as far back as 1854, when Jonah H. Mosier settled here on a donation land claim. Mosier, a cabinetmaker by trade, had made the rugged trip west twice -- to California in 1849, and again to Oregon in 1853. Mosier and his wife operated an impromptu stage station, catering to the hundreds of Oregon Trail emigrants who streamed down the Gorge on their way to the Willamette Valley.

The railroad arrived in 1882 and sparked a real estate boom as settlers, drawn by the case of transportation and by reports of idea apple-growing conditions, queued up to purchase land. As it turned out, cherries were far more suitable for the area's soil -- but it would take many years for growers to realize this -- and even more years for them to switch crops.

Mosier got another infusion of industry with the arrival of the Columbia River Highway in 1921. Roadhouses, restaurants, and service stations lined the scenic road where it passed through town, and the hills echoed with the sputter and cough of touring cars on their way to or from The Dalles."


Source:    Mosier information sign, Mosier, Oregon, visited June 2009.


Image, 2009, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Information sign, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken June 27, 2009.


Mosier Plateau Trail ...
Mosier Plateau Trail
Turn north off HWY 30 east of the totem pole at the CITY PARKING sign.
Park between HWY 30 and the rail road.
Walk 1/4 mile east on HWY 30 to cross to the trail head on the south side of the road.
DO NOT PARK ON HWY 30

Trail Length: 3.5 miles out and back, including the HWY 30 walk.
Difficulty: Moderate (includes stair sections)


The Mosier Plateau Trail was developed by the Frineds of the Columbia Gorge in collaboration with the City of Mosier.

This trail is the first of the Gorge Towns To Trails, a comprehensive trail system that wraps around the Columbia Gorge, linking communities with recreation and enhancing community downtown vitality.

CITY OF MOSIER
small enough to make a difference


Source:    Information Sign, Mosier, Oregon, visited March 2016.


Image, 2016, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Sign, Mosier Plateau Trail, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken March 30, 2016.
Image, 2016, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Sign detail, Mosier Plateau Trail, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken March 30, 2016.


Mosier Syncline ...
The Mosier Syncline is the lowpoint between the Bingen Anticline to the west, and the Ortley Anticline to the east.
[More]

Mosier Totem ...
The Mosier Totem was carved by Jeff Stewart of Dufur, Oregon.
[More]

Image, 2007, Mosier Totem, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier Totem, carved by Jeff Stewart. Image taken May 13, 2007.
Image, 2005, Mosier Totem, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier Totem, carved by Jeff Stewart. Image taken September 18, 2005.


Mosier Trading Company ...
The building of the Mosier Trading Company was one of the first buildings in downtown Mosier.
[More]

Image, 1905, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
HISTORICAL Newspaper image, Mosier Trading Company, Mosier, Oregon. Image from Hood River Glacier, September 7, 1905, courtesy Historic Oregon Newspaper Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, 2016.
Image, 2017, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier Trading Company building, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken October 4, 2017.


Mosier Twin Tunnels ...
The "Twin Tunnels" of Mosier were once part of the Historic Columbia River Highway and are now part of Oregon's Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail.
[More]

Image, 2005, East Portal, Mosier Tunnels, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
East Portal, Mosier Tunnels. Image taken September 18, 2005.
Image, 2005, East Portal, Mosier Tunnels, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
East Portal, Mosier Twin Tunnels. Image taken September 18, 2005.


Mosier Valley Bank ...
The Mosier Valley Bank was organized in 1909. It moved into a stately new brick building in 1914, today the location of the Mosier Valley Post Office.
"MOSIER, Or., July 4. -- (Special.) -- Organization of the Mosier Valley Bank has been completed and the institution will be open for business Tuesday, July 6. The temporary quarters of the bank will be in a store which has been vacated for the purpose, and fixtures and a burglar-proof safe are now being installed." ["Morning Oregonian", July 6, 1909, courtesy Historic Oregon Newspapers Archives, University of Oregon LIbraries, 2017]

"Building ... is booming in Mosier this Summer. Three new buildings are rising, one of which is a brick structure, the new home of the Mosier Bank." ["Sunday Oregonian", August 30, 1914, courtesy Historic Oregon Newspapers Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, 2017]
[More]

Image, 2011, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier Valley Post Office, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken May 4, 2011.

The Mosier Post Office was established in 1884. It first occupied a small building near the railroad depot until it bounced from home to home. In 1929 it moved to its current location, a building which was once Mosier's bank building.



"Octagonal House" ...

Image, 2009, Octagonal House, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
"Octagonal House", Mosier, Oregon. Historic Columbia River Highway, Mosier to Rowena. Image taken June 27, 2009.


Orchards ...
"Regular rows of fruit trees extend on either side of the highway [Historic Columbia River Highway], giving the subsection a rural, agricultural look. This subsection is climaxed by a glimpse of the large Mayerdale house, the site of one of the dedication ceremonies for the HCRH. A new deer fence detracts from the view of the orchards."


Source:    HCRH Master Plan, 2005.

Image, 2016, Orchards near Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Orchards near Mosier, Historica Columbia River Highway, Oregon. Image taken March 30, 2016.
Image, 2005, Orchards, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Orchards along the Historic Columbia River Highway, east of Mosier, Oregon. Image taken September 18, 2005.


Pioneer Cemetery ...
"The Mosier Pioneer Cemetery Is historically significant on a local level for its association with the founders of Mosier, the Jane and Jonah Mosier family. Many of the family members and close friends are interred in the Mosier Pioneer Cemetery, and represent some of the earliest Euro-American burials in the Mosier area. The first known burial (1865) was that of Jane Mosier, the wife of Jonah Mosier who established the original donation land claim in the area. The historic period of significance is from 1865 to 1901. The beginning date signifies the first known burial and the end date corresponds to the last recorded historic burial."


Source:    "CityOfMosier.com" website, 2016.

Image, 2016, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Mosier Pioneer Cemetery bench, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken March 30, 2016.


Route 30 Classics and Roadside Refreshments ...
"Route 30 Classics, Vintage Porsches & Parts" was established in 1985 and is "the" place for Porsche enthusiasts. The "Route 30 Roadside Refreshments" is located in the same building and serves 16 flavors (2017) of ice cream !!!

Image, 2009, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
"Route 30" Classics and Roadside Refreshments, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken June 27, 2009.
Image, 2007, Mosier Cafe, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Route 30 Classics and Roadside Refreshments, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken May 13, 2007.


Union Pacific ...
[More]

Image, 2007, Union Pacific, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Union Pacific 3143, Mosier, Oregon. Union Pacific train passing Mosier, Oregon. Image taken May 13, 2007.
Image, 2007, Amtrak Yard Switcher 530, Mosier, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Amtrak Yard Switcher 530, Mosier, Oregon. Image taken May 13, 2007.

"MP15 #530-539 were built in 1970 for the P&LE as #1585, 1586, 1589 to 1895, 1897. Acquired by Amtrak June 1993 from P&LE. Overhauled by Amtrak at Wilmintong DE in 2004/05." ["hebners.net" website, 2016, "Amtrak Photo Archives"]
Image, 2007, Great Northern, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Ex-Great Northern wood chip hopper now owned by Greenbrier Companies, GBRX 34648. Big Sky Blue paint. Union Pacific train passing Mosier, Oregon. Image taken May 13, 2007.

"Greenbrier Companies, headquartered in Lake Oswego, Oregon, is a leading international supplier of equipment and services to the freight rail transportation markets." ["gbrx.com" website, 2016]
Image, 2007, Great Northern, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Ex-Great Northern wood chip hopper now owned by Greenbrier Companies, GBRX 34650. Big Sky Blue paint. Union Pacific train passing Mosier, Oregon. Image taken May 13, 2007.

Between 1967 and 1970 Great Northern freight cars were painted "Big Sky Blue". ["gnrhs.org" website, 2016, "Paint Schemes"]
Image, 2007, Great Northern, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Ex-Great Northern wood chip hopper now owned by Greenbrier Companies, GBRX 34650. Big Sky Blue paint. Union Pacific train passing Mosier, Oregon. Image taken May 13, 2007.
Image, 2007, Northern Pacific, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Northern Pacific wood chips car. Union Pacific train passing Mosier, Oregon. Blue boxcar behind is a Great Northern boxcar (see above). Image taken May 13, 2007.


From the Journals of Lewis and Clark ...

Clark, October 29, 1805 ...
A cloudy morning wind from the West but not hard, we Set out at day light [from their camp on Rocky Island at Crates Point], and proceeded on about five miles Came too on the Stard. Side at a village of 7 houses built in the Same form and materials of those above, here we found the Chief we had Seen at the long narrows [The Dalles] ...     they are hospitable and good humered Speak the Same language of the inhabitants of the last village, we call this the friendly village [vicinity of Dougs Beach]. ...     after brackfast we proceeded on, the mountains are high on each Side [high basalt cliffs of the Rowena Gap, with Rowena Crest on the south and the Chamberlain Lake area on the north], containing Scattering pine white oake & under groth, hill Sides Steep and rockey; at 4 miles lower we observed a Small river falling in with great rapidity on the Stard. Side [Klickitat River] below which is a village of 11 houses [today the town of Lyle is on the upstream side of the Klickitat], here we landed to Smoke a pipe with the nativs and examine the mouth of the river, which I found to be 60 yards wide rapid and deep, The inhabitants of the village are friendly and Chearfull; those people inform us also those at the last village that this little river is long and full of falls, no Salmon pass up it, it runs from N. N. E. that ten nations live on this river and its waters, on buries, and what game that Can kill with their Bow & arrows

we purchased 4 dogs and Set out- (this village is the of the Same nation of the one we last passed) and proceeded on The Countrey on each side begin to be thicker timbered with Pine and low white Oake; verry rockey and broken [passing Mayer State Park on the Oregon side]. passed three large rocks in The river the middle rock is large long and has Several Squar vaults on it. we call this rockey Island the Sepulchar [Memaloose Island] - The last river we passed we Shall Call the Cataract River [Klickitat River] from the number of falls which the Indians say is on it- passed 2 Lodges of Indians a Short distance below the Sepulchar Island [Memaloose Island] on the Stard. Side river wide, at 4 mile passed 2 houses on the Stard. Side, Six miles lower passed 4 houses above the mouth of a Small river 40 yards wide on the Lard. Side [Hood River]    a thick timbered bottom above & back of those houses; those are the first houses which we have Seen on the South Side of the Columbia River, (and the axess to those dificuelt) for fear of the approach of their common enemies the Snake Indians, passed 14 houses on the Std. Side Scattered on the bank- from the mouth of this little river which we shall Call Labeasche River [Hood River], the falls mountain [Mount Hood] is South and the top is covered with Snow.    one mile below pass the mouth of a large rapid Stream on the Stard. Side [White Salmon River], opposit to a large Sand bar [from Hood River], in this creek the Indians above take their fish, here we Saw Several canoes, which induced us to call this Canoe Creek [White Salmon River] it is 28 yards wide, about 4 miles lower and below the Sand bar [Hood River sandbar] is a butifull cascade falling over a rock of about 100 feet [Wah Gwin Gwin Falls, location of the Columbia Gorge Hotel],

[On the route map (Moulton, vol.1, map#78) a "C___ Spring" is shown on the north side of the river, today the location of Spring Creek and Spring Creek Fish Hatchery, with no mention of it in any text. On the south side, at the location of Wah Gwin Gwin Falls, only "Cascade" is labeled and "4 Houses of Indians".]

a Short distance lower passed 4 Indian houses on the Lard. Side in a timbered bottom, a fiew miles further we came too at 3 houses on Stard. Side, back of which is a pond [today the location of Drano Lake. The Little White Salmon River empties into Drano Lake.] in which I Saw Great numbers of Small Swan, Capt. Lewis and went into the houses of those people ...     Here the mountains are high on each Side, those to the Lard. Side has Some Snow on them at this time, more timber than above and of greater variety.





Columbia River GorgeReturn to
Menu
 



SNAKE RIVER CONFLUENCE | COLUMBIA PLATEAU
COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE | VANCOUVER PLAINS | JOURNEY TO THE PACIFIC
CAMPSITES


HOME | REGIONS | PENNY POSTCARDS | MY CORPS OF DISCOVERY
IMAGE INDEX | LINKS | ABOUT THIS SITE


COLUMBIA RIVER IMAGES - HOME
NORTHWEST JOURNEY - HOME
NORTHWEST BIRDING
RIDGEFIELD NWR - BIRDS
COMPLETE BIRD LIST - PHOTOS
THE BARLOW ROAD
THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY
WILDFLOWERS and WEED BLOSSOMS



*River Miles [RM] are approximate, in statute miles, and were determined from USGS topo maps, obtained from NOAA nautical charts, or obtained from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers website, 2003

Sources:    "a2zgorge.info" website, 2005, 2010;    Dohnal, 2003, The Making of America Series: Columbia River Gorge, Natural Treasure on the Old Oregon Trail, Arcadia Press;    Great Northern Railway Historical Society website, 2016;    "Hebners.net" website, 2016, "Amtrak Photo Archives";    Historic Oregon Newspapers Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, 2016;    Leininger, J., "A History of Mosier & Its Valley", A History of Wasco County website, 2009, 2017;    Lockley, F., 1928, "History of the Columbia River Valley, From The Dalles to the Sea.", S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., vol.2., p.460, found on "Rootsweb.com", 2017;    McArthur, L.A., and McArthur, L.L., 2004, Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press, Portland;    "meyerdale.com" website, 2015;    "Route 30 Classics" website, 2017;    State of Oregon Archivist website, 2005, "A 1940 Journey Across Oregon";   

All Lewis and Clark quotations from Gary Moulton editions of the Lewis and Clark Journals, University of Nebraska Press, all attempts have been made to type the quotations exactly as in the Moulton editions, however typing errors introduced by this web author cannot be ruled out; location interpretation from variety of sources, including this website author.
/Regions/Places/mosier.html
© 2017, Lyn Topinka, "ColumbiaRiverImages.com", All rights reserved.
Images are NOT to be downloaded from this website.
October 2017