Lewis and Clark's Columbia River
Home Regions Campsites Penny Postcards My Corps of Discovery Image Index Links About This Site Main Menu
Lewis & Clark's Columbia River - "200 Years Later"
"Knappa and Knappa Slough, Warren's Landing and Warren Slough, Oregon"
Includes ... Knappa ... Knappa Landing ... Knappa Slough ... Warren Slough ... Warren's Landing ... Karlson Island ... National Register of Historic Places Site ... Birds on Knappa Slough ...
Image, 2004, Dock on Knappa Slough, Knappa, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Knappa Slough, at Knappa, Oregon. View is looking straight up Knappa Slough with Karlson Island on the left. Warren Slough is just beginning to branch on the right. Private dock is in the foreground. Image taken June 16, 2004.


Knappa ...
Knappa, Oregon, is located on the south side of the Columbia River, approximately 12 miles east of Astoria. Bordering Knappa are the islands of Cathlamet Bay and the Lewis and Clark National Wildlife Refuge. Upstream is Blind Slough, Brownsmead, and Aldrich Point. Downstream is the small community of Svensen and further downstream is Settler Point and the Twilight Eagle Sanctuary.

Lewis and Clark and the Knappa area ...
Lewis and Clark passed the Knappa area on November 26, 1805. Today's community is near the location of the "Cathlahmah" village which they visited. That village is assumed to have moved then across the river to the Washington side, becoming the town of Cathlamet.

Lewis and Clark spent the night of November 26, 1805, approximately 10 miles south of Knappa, on Cathlamet Bay near the Twilight Eagle Sanctuary.


Knappa Slough ...
The head of Knappa Slough begins where Blind Slough and Prairie Channel meet, at the southern end of Marsh Island and the eastern end of Karlson Island, two of the islands in the Lewis and Clark National Wildlife Refuge. The mouth of Knappa Slough is across from Minaker Island and splits into Big Creek Slough and Calendar Slough before merging into Prairie Channel at the southeastern end of Russian Island, at the eastern end of Cathlamet Bay. Downstream of Knappa Slough is Svensen Island, Settler Point, and the location of today's Twilight Eagle Sanctuary, the location of Lewis and Clark's campsite of November 26, 1805.

Early Knappa and Knappa Slough ...
According to Oregon Geographic Names (McArthur and McArthur, 2003), Oregon's town of Knappa was named after an early settler Aaron Knapp Jr. The Knappa Post Office operated from 1872 to 1943.

The Bureau of Land Management's General Land Office Records show an Auren Knapp being granted title to 40 acres in T8N R7W Sec.8 on June 25, 1872 (1820 Sale-Cash Entry). They also show Auren Knapp being granted title to 160.83 acres of T8N R6W Sec.7 on January 24, 1890 (1820 Sale-Cash Entry). A Phebe Knapp was granted title to 160 acres of T8N R6W and parts of Sec.7, 17, and 18, on September 5, 1890 (1820 Sale-Cash Entry).

The 1856 cadastral survey (tax survey) for T8N R7W has today's Knappa Slough along with today's Blind Slough labeled "Blind Slough".

The 1862 cadastral survey for T8N R7W also has today's Knappa Slough labeled as "Blind Slough". The area of Knappa Landing (Section 18) was part of the Donation Land Claim (DLC) of Samuel Tallman, 324.82 acres, Claim No.37. Section 8, the eventual claim of Aaron Knapp Jr., was blank.

The 1875 and the 1892 Columbia River Sheet No.2 (Astoria to Tenasillahe Island) had today's Knappa Landing labeled "Warren's Landing". The 1892 map shows the dock.

In 1941 the U.S. Board of Geographic Names made official the name "Knappa Slough".

Not much is left of the early Knappa. On this web author's visit in June 2004, one of the local folk pointed out overgrown corner which once was the bank, and a bushy, treed area where once stood a store and dance hall. Only a couple houses from the 1914 era exist.


Views ...

Image, 2012, Knappa dock, Knappa, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
"Old" Knappa dock, Knappa, Oregon. Image taken September 22, 2012.
Image, 2008, Knappa dock, Knappa, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
"Old" Knappa dock, Knappa, Oregon. Image taken February 17, 2008.
Image, 2008, Knappa dock, Knappa, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Knappa Docks, Knappa, Oregon. Knappa Slough is to the left and Warren Slough to the right, with a private dock in the foreground. Image taken February 17, 2008.
Image, 2008, Home, Knappa, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Home, Knappa Docks, Knappa, Oregon. View from the "old" Knappa Dock. Image taken February 17, 2008.
Image, 2004, Knappa Slough and Warren Slough, Knappa, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Knappa dock (private), as seen from Knappa Slough with Warren Slough on the right. Image taken June 16, 2004.
Image, 2008, Knappa dock, Knappa, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Shoreline, Knappa Docks, Knappa, Oregon. Image taken February 17, 2008.
Image, 2008, Knappa dock, Knappa, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Old building/shed, Knappa Docks, Knappa, Oregon. Image taken February 17, 2008.
Image, 2008, Knappa Slough, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Horned Grebe, Knappa Slough, Oregon. Image taken February 17, 2008.
Image, 2008, Knappa Slough, Oregon, click to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
Greater Scaup, Knappa Slough, Oregon. Image enlarged 150%. Image taken February 17, 2008.


Knappa, etc.

  • Knappa Docks Site ...
  • Warren Slough and Warren's Landing ...

Knappa Docks Site ...
The Knappa Docks Site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 (Site #84002959). Known as the "Hlilusqahih Site (35CLT37)", it is an Chinookan/Kathlamet Historic-Aboriginal site with the periods of significance between 1000-1499 A.D., 1500-1749 A.D., and 1750-1900 A.D..

Knappa Landing ...
Knappa Landing provides access for paddlers and kayakers to the central part of the Lewis and Clark National Wildlife Refuge. There is a small cobble beach between an old dock on the left and a private dock on the right. In the late 1800s Knappa Landing was knowns as "Warren's Landing".

Warren Slough and Warren's Landing ...
Warren Slough borders the north side of the Knappa area and enters Knappa Slough just upstream of the dock at Knappa Landing. At one time this area was known as "Warren's Landing" (the 1875 and the 1892 Columbia River Sheet No.2 maps). Most of Warren Slough lies within T8N R7W Section 8. According to "rootsweb.com" website (2010, Clatsop County), in 1885 John F. Warren took out a homestead claim in T8 R7.

The Bureau of Land Management's General Land Office Records show a J.F. Warren being granted title to 160 acres in T8N R7W Sec.28 on April 10, 1882 (1820 Sale-Cash Entry). They also show a J.F. Warren being granted title to 160 acres in T8N R8W Sec.26 On May 5, 1890 (1820 Sale-Cash Entry).

However, there were more Warrens than just John Warren in the area. The Bureau of Land Management's General Land Office Records show Daniel K. Warren being granted title to 9.75 acres in T8N R7W Sec.7 on August 5, 1869 (1820 Sale-Cash Entry) and 18.12 acres in T8N R7W Sec.8 (1820 Sale-Cash Entry).

Records for T8N R7W also show A.H. Stone, Daniel K. Warren, and George W. Warren being granted title to 80 acres in parts of T8N R7W Sections 8 and 9, on May 2, 1870 (1820 Sale-Cash Entry), and 160 acres of Sections 9, 10, and 15, on June 1, 1870 (1820 Sale-Cash Entry). Alfred H. Stone and George W. Warren were granted title to 151.4 acres in parts of T8N R7W, Sections 3 and 10, and 40 acres in Section 15, on July 15, 1870 (1820 Sale-Cash Entry). George W. Warren was granted title to another 40 acres in T8N R7W Section 15 on April 25, 1871 (1820 Sale-Cash Entry).

The U.S. GenWeb Project lists the 1860 census for Clatsop County, and it shows a Daniel Warren, age 23, a farmer, from New York. No Warrens appeared on the 1850 census.



From the Journals of Lewis and Clark ...

Clark, November 26, 1805, first draft ...
Cloudy and Some rain this morning at daylight wind blew from the E N. E, we Set out and proceeded on up on the North Side of this great river to a rock in the river from thence we Crossed to the lower point of an [blank] Island passed between 2 Islands to the main Shore, and proceeded down the South Side [Cathlamet Bay] passed 2 Inlets & halted below the 2d at a Indian village of 9 large houses [Knappa, Oregon] - those Indians live on an emenence behind a Island or a Channel of the river not more than 300 yds wide, they live on fish & Elk and Wapto roots, of which we bought a few at a high price they Call them Selves Cat-tar-bets description



We proceeded on about 8 miles and Encamped in a deep bend to the South [location of today's Twilight Eagle Sanctuary], we had not been Encamped long ere 3 Indians Came in a Canoe to trade the Wapto roots - we had rain all the day all wet and disagreeable a bad place to Camp all around this great bend is high land thickly timbered brushey & almost impossible to penetrate we Saw on an Island below the village a place of deposit for the dead in Canoes-

Great numbers of Swan Geese Brant Ducks & Gulls in this great bend which is Crouded with low Islands covered with weeds grass &c. and overflowed every flood tide [today the Lewis and Clark National Wildlife Refuge] The people of the last village is-[blank] ...     We are now decending to see if a favourable place should offer on the So Side to winter &c.

from a high Point opsd. a high Isd down the South Side is S. 30 W 6 mls to a point of low land opsd. upr. pt of Isd. passed lowr. pt. 1st Isd. marshey. at the upr. pt. of 2 low Isd. opsd. each other at 4 miles



S. 12 E 2 miles
to an Indn. Cat-tar-bet vilg of 9 houses [Knappa, Oregon] passed an inlet 300 yds wide on Std at 1/2 a mile

S. 60 W 1 mile
to high land on the South

S. 70 W 1 do.
to a South point Low land a low Isd. opsd. pass the former

S. 50 W. 6 miles
to a high point S.

South 2 miles to a bend Camped

N. 70 W. 6 miles
to a point No. 1 a deep bend to the left

S. 50 W 8 miles
to Point No. 2 passing a deep bend to the South

S. 50 W 1 1/2 miles S. 40 W 1 1/2 miles
to Pt in Bay

The bay turns to the N of East & recves 2 other small Brooks



Clark, November 26, 1805 ...
Cloudy and Some rain this morning from 6 oClock. wind from the E. N. E, we Set out out early and crossed a Short distance above the rock out in the river, & between Some low marshey Islands to the South Side of the Columbia at a low bottom about 3 miles below Point Samuel [Aldrich Point] and proceeded near the South Side leaveing the Seal Islands [islands in Cathlamet Bay, today a part of the Lewis and Clark National Wildlife Refuge] to our right and a marshey bottom to the left 5 Miles to the Calt-har-mar Village [location of Knappa, Oregon] of 9 large wood houses on a handsom elivated Situation near the foot of a Spur of the high land behind a large low Island Seperated from the Southerly Shore by a Chanel of about 200 yards Wide, ...    



we proceeded on through a Deep bend to the South and encamped under a high hill [past Settler Point to the location of today's Twilight Eagle Sanctuary], where we found much difficuelty in precureing wood to burn, as it was raining hard, as it had been the greater part of the day. ...     from the Village quite around this bend to the West the land is high and thickly timbered with pine balsom &c. a Short distance below the Calt har mer Village [Knappa, Oregon] on the Island which is Opposit I observed Several Canoes Scaffold in which Contained their dead, as I did not examine this mode of deposing the dead, must refer it to a discription hereafter.






Clark, March 24, 1806 ...
Sent out 15 men verry early this morning for the flesh of the two Elk killed by Drewyer and Fields yesterday. they returned at 8 oClock ...     Set out at half past 9 a. m. [from their camp at Mill Creek, on the east side of Tongue Point] and proceeded [South Channel, along the shore of Cathlamet Bay. They pass the John Day River, the location of today's Twilight Eagle Sanctuary, and today's Svensen Island] to the Cath lah mah Village [near Knappa, Oregon] at 1 P. M. and remained untill after 3 p. m. at this village ...     we proceeded on through Some difficult and narrow Channels [possibly Knappa Channel] between the Seal Islands [islands in Cathlamet Bay, today part of the Lewis and Clark National Wildlife Refuge], and the south side to an old village on the south side opposit to the lower War ki a com village [Skamokawa, Washington], and Encamped [Aldrich Point]. to this old villg. ...     Soon after we made our Camp 2 Indians visited us from the opposite Side, one of them Spoke Several words of English and repeeted the names of the traders, and many of the Salors.     made 16 Miles



Lewis, March 24, 1806 ...
This morning we sent out a party of 15, at light, for the meat, and concluded to take breakfast before we set out. they soon returned. we breakfasted and set out at after 9 A. M. [from their camp on Mill Creek, just east of Tongue Point] ...     the tide being out this morning we found some difficulty in passing through the bay [Cathlamet Bay] below the Cathlahmah village [near Knappa, Oregon]; this side of the river is very shallow to the distance of 4 miles from the shore tho' there is a channel sufficient for canoes near S. side. at 1 P. M. we arrived at the Cathlahmah village where we halted and purchased some wappetoe, a dog for the sick, and a hat for one of the men. on one of the seal Islands [islands in Cathlamet Bay, today part of the Lewis and Clark National Wildlife Refuge] opposite to the village of these people thy have scaffolded their dead in canoes elivating them above tidewater mark. ...     at half after 3 P. M. we set out and continued our rout among the seal Islands; not paying much attention we mistook our rout which an Indian perceiving pursued overtook us and put us in the wright channel. ...     we continued our rout along the South side of the river and encamped at an old village of 9 houses opposite to the lower Wackkiacum village [Skamokawa, Washington]. the night was cold tho' wood was abundant after dark two Chinnook men came to us in a small canoe. they remained with us all night. came 15 miles today.





Journey to the PacificReturn to
Menu
 



SNAKE RIVER CONFLUENCE | COLUMBIA PLATEAU
COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE | VANCOUVER PLAINS | JOURNEY TO THE PACIFIC
CAMPSITES


HOME | REGIONS | PENNY POSTCARDS | MY CORPS OF DISCOVERY
IMAGE INDEX | LINKS | ABOUT THIS SITE


COLUMBIA RIVER IMAGES - HOME
NORTHWEST JOURNEY - HOME
NORTHWEST BIRDING
RIDGEFIELD NWR - BIRDS
COMPLETE BIRD LIST - PHOTOS
THE BARLOW ROAD
THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY
WILDFLOWERS and WEED BLOSSOMS



*River Miles [RM] are approximate, in statute miles, and were determined from USGS topo maps, obtained from NOAA nautical charts, or obtained from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers website, 2003

Sources:    Hay, K.G., 2004, The Lewis and Clark Columbia River Water Trail, Timber Press, Portland;    McArthur, L.A., and McArthur, L.L., 2003, Oregon Geographic Names, 7th Edition, Oregon Historical Society Press, Portland;    National Register of Historic Places website, 2004;    "Rootsweb.com" website, 2010, Clatsop County;    U.S. Bureau of Land Management, General Land Office Records (GLO) website, 2006;    U.S. GenWeb Project website, 2010;    U.S. Geological Survey's Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) website, 2006;   

All Lewis and Clark quotations from Gary Moulton editions of the Lewis and Clark Journals, University of Nebraska Press, all attempts have been made to type the quotations exactly as in the Moulton editions, however typing errors introduced by this web author cannot be ruled out; location interpretation from variety of sources, including this website author.
/Regions/Places/knappa.html
© 2017, Lyn Topinka, "ColumbiaRiverImages.com", All rights reserved.
Images are NOT to be downloaded from this website.
September 2010